So, here we are at the end of HOLY WEEK . On this special Sunday, lets just have a quick recap of ‘events’.
Holy Week is the week leading up to Easter. Christians particularly remember the last 7 days of Jesus’s life . It starts with…
- Palm Sunday – commemorates Christ’s triumphant arrival in Jerusalem to the cheers of the crowd.
- Maundy Thursday (or Holy Thursday) – is the Thursday before Easter. In the UK, Maundy Thursday of Holy Week is so named because it is recognised as the anniversary of the Last Supper and the beginning of the institution of the Eucharist. Maundy comes from the Latin word mandatum, meaning commandment, in Jesus’s phrase A new commandment I give to you …that we should love one another. It the day when Jesus washed the feet of his disciples and established the ceremony known as the Eucharist.
- Roman Catholic church services feature a ceremony in which the priest washes the feet of 12 people to commemorate Jesu’ washing the feet of his disciples. It was common in monasteries throughout history for the Abbot to wash the feet of the monks in a similar gesture. This is usually the day on which the supply of anointing oil to be used throughout the year is consecrated.
- This is the night on which Jesus was betrayed by Judas, in the Garden of Gethsemane.
- Do you also know … even before 17th century, the King or Queen would wash the feet of the selected poor people as a gesture of humility, and in remembrance of Jesus’ washing the feet of the disciples. The last monarch to do this was James 2.
- The practice of the monarch giving money to the poor on this day dates back to Edward 1!
- Good Friday is the Friday before Easter. It commemorates the Passion: The execution of Jesus by crucifixion.
- Holy Saturday is followed by Easter Sunday, the culmination of Holy week.
- Easter commemorates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is the most important Christian festival, and the one celebrated with the greatest joy.
- The date of Easter changes each year, and several other Christian festivals fix their dates by reference to Easter.
- Churches are filled with flowers, and there are special hymns and songs. But not all Easter customs are Christian; some, such as the Easter Bunny, are pagan in origin!
Some may think this is all just history … but I prefer to say its ‘HIS -STORY’ . (The unimaginable pain … and the eternal joy). But, whatever your own beliefs, let’s hope you can have a peaceful Easter … and maybe even a chocolate egg or two!
The Easter story and the last words of Jesus
(Image courtesy of Freedigital photos)
On Good Friday, Jesus Christ was executed by crucifixion. His body was taken down from the cross, and buried in a cave. The tomb was guarded and an enormous stone was put over the entrance, so that no-one could steal the body. On the following Sunday, some women visited the grave and found that the stone had been moved, and that the tomb was empty. Jesus himself was seen that day, and for days afterwards by many people. His followers realised that God had raised Jesus from the dead.
So, can you remember the last seven ‘words’ that Jesus spoke? Here’s a quick reminder…
Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.
Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.
|PS. May the light of Christ, rising in glory, banish all darkness from our hearts and minds. Amen to that!|
(If you have any thoughts or comments about this post … please feel welcome to share them with us in the comments section or our facebook page Thank you!)
May this book be your friend and guide upon your journey called life…
I am I: The In-Dweller of Your Heart ‘Collection’
In a process known as ‘inner-dictation’, God’s wisdom and love is transcribed through and from the heart, to help us rediscover who and what we are, and why we exist too. As such, these ‘lessons’, guidelines and principles will resonate inside your Soul, and remove the veil of death, fear and anxiety to provide a clearer vision and purpose. Please be assured, during one’s sojourn, you are able to find your own path towards self-realization, and become liberated into eternal bliss and peace.
A 492 page paperback book now available at
“OPEN YOUR HEART BASK IN THE GLORY OF GOD”
I will continue to post extracts from our books, which I hope you will find informative and uplifting. They aim to encourage you to become the best person, human being and Soul you can be! Remember, parts 1 and 2 and 3 have all been collated with and through ‘inner-dictation’ from my speaking heart to yours … so please enjoy!
Would you like to see more articles like this? Pleas subscribe to this blog and get each new post delivered to your email or feed reader.
For more information about AscensionForYou please visit http://AscensionForYou.co.uk/blog
Copyright © 2017 by DPK Publishing. All rights reserved.
May you keep shining each and every day. God bless you all, Dave -AscensionForYou- Knight.